Proposed Extension for Graduate Skilled 485 Visa Holders
International students may have an extra incentive to study and live in a regional area.
To encourage improvement in the economy of regional areas, the Australian Government announced a Regional Migration plan in November 2019. One of the proposed plans is to allow international students studying at all locations outside Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane to extend their Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa. The additional post-study work arrangements will become available in 2021 and will require ongoing residence in a regional area.
Some of the general requirements to receive an extension are to:
- Hold the current two-year Post-study work stream of the Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa (TGV), which applies to Bachelor and master’s by coursework graduates;
- Study and live in cities and Major Regional Centres’ of Perth, Adelaide, the Gold Coast, the Sunshine Coast, Canberra, Newcastle/Lake Macquarie, Wollongong/Illawarra, Geelong and Hobart OR ‘Regional Centres and Other Regional Areas’; and
- spend at least two years residing in a regional area.
How much additional time could I be given?
Currently the post-study work stream of the Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa is valid for 2 years. Should the extension be implemented, the two years could be extended for an additional one or two years depending on the category of the regional area.
- International graduates who have studied and lived in Category 2 will be eligible for an additional year on a second Temporary Graduate visa.
- International graduates who have studied and lived in Category 3 will be eligible for an additional two years on a second Temporary Graduate visa.
What are the eligible regional areas and the categories?
The department has the following 3 categories:
- Category 1 – ‘Major Cities’ of Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane do not receive any regional incentives
- Category 2 – ‘Cities and Major Regional Centres’ of Perth, Adelaide, the Gold Coast, the Sunshine Coast, Canberra, Newcastle/Lake Macquarie, Wollongong/Illawarra, Geelong and Hobart
- Category 3 – ‘Regional Centres and Other Regional Areas’
What is the Graduate Skilled 485 Visa?
This visa is very popular for students who have completed relevant courses in Australia. The visa is well sought after because it provides the opportunity for the holder to work and live in Australia for a substantial amount of time after the completion of their studies. This is a perfect opportunity to improve your English skills, gain relevant work experience and position yourself well for a move towards permanent residency visa.
Information regarding 485 can be read here.
Source: Department of Home Affairs
Comments are closed.