Who is 189 Visa for?
On assessment we advise that the most appropriate method of migration available to you is a Skilled – Independent (subclass 189) visa. The skilled migration program is for applicants who are not sponsored by an employer and who have skills in particular occupations sought after in Australia. You must be over 18 and under 45 years of age, have good English language ability and recent skilled work experience or a recently completed eligible Australian qualification (university degree or trade qualification). This visa class uses a skilled points test to identify visa applicants with necessary characteristics needed in the Australian labour market.
What does 189 Visa Allows You To Do?
This visa allows you and any secondary applicants (family members migrating with you) included in your visa application to live as permanent residents in Australia. Permanent residency is granted upon your arrival in Australia. Australian permanent residents can:
- Live and work in Australia on a permanent basis;
- Study in Australian schools and universities;
- Receive subsidised healthcare through Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS);
- Access certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods);
- Be eligible for Australian citizenship (after 4 years and subject to the residency eligibility criteria); and
- Sponsor relatives who wish to migrate to Australia.
This visa permits you to travel to and enter Australia for five (5) years from the date the visa is granted. Your permanent residency does not end upon the expiration of this visa. However, if you wish to continue to travel to and from Australia as a permanent resident after the initial visa has expired, you must obtain a Resident Return Visa (RRV). Your eligibility for an RRV will depend on the period that you have resided in Australia during the five (5) year period.