This visa allows a child who is outside Australia to come to Australia to live with their parents.
Are you eligible?
To get this visa, the child must be:
- sponsored by their parent or their parent’s partner
- younger than 18 years of age, or:
- a full-time student between 18 and 25 years of age, or
- 18 or older and unable to work due to a disability and dependent on the sponsoring parent.
The child’s relationship with the sponsor
The child must be:
- the biological child or adopted child of the sponsoring parent
- a step child who has not turned 18 of a step-parent who is no longer the partner of the child’s parent but has a legal responsibility to care for the child.
An adopted child must have been adopted before their parent became an Australian citizen or the holder of an Australian permanent resident visa or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
The child can include their own dependent children in this application. Our Infinite Migration lawyers will help you determine your eligibility.
What you can do on the Child visa (101):
- travel to and stay in Australia indefinitely
- work and study in Australia
- enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
- apply for Australian citizenship (if they are eligible)
- sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
- travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted – after that time they will need another visa to enter Australia.