New changes to the Temporary Activity visa (subclass 408) and Student Visa (subclass 500)

Immigrants who work in the Hospitality and Tourism sector in Australia now have further visa options to remain for up to 12 months. The announcement released by Minister Hawke confirmed that Hospitality and Tourism would include the sector in the Temporary Activity visa 408 COVID-19 Pandemic Event Visa to allow for Australia’s Covid-19 economic recovery.


What is a Temporary Activity visa?

A Subclass 408 Temporary Activity visa allows individuals to come to Australia to do specific types of work on a short-term, temporary basis. This visa can allow you to remain in Australia for up to 12 months. There are four different streams to consider. One of the most common streams used is the Australian Government endorsed events (COVID-19 Pandemic event) stream. This stream allows you to remain in Australia if you are in the critical sector; the application fee has concessions available.


Which sectors are in the Critical Sector under the Temporary Activity visa?

  • Agriculture
  • Food Processing
  • Health Care
  • Aged Care
  • Disability Care
  • Child Care

As of 11 May 2021, Tourism and hospitality has been included in the critical sectors. Suppose you are in the Tourism and hospitality industry or intend to join.

In that case, you could be eligible to apply for this visa.



To be eligible for the Australian Government endorsed events (COVID-19 Pandemic event) stream under Subclass 408, you should meet the following:

  • Be in Australia
  • Hold a valid visa, or your last substantive visa expired less than 28 days ago
  • Be able to show you can support yourself and any dependents
  • Meet Health and Character requirements
  • Work in a critical Sector


Expanded student visa work rights announced

The Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services, and Multicultural Affairs announced welcome news for international students in the hospitality and tourism sector.

International students that work in the tourism and hospitality industry have been given some relief, the government has allowed students to work unrestricted hours for the time being. The relaxation of working restrictions has been implemented to assist Australia shortage in the industry. It will enable students to have the extra funds if required.


To further determine your eligibility or to discuss whether these changes apply,  please contact our team for a complimentary consultation.





Source: Department of Home Affairs 

Comments are closed.

Get in touch

Speak to our caring and knowledgeable staff who will be able to assist you in achieving your successful migration goal.
Fill in our contact form and we'll get back to you as soon as possible, otherwise email us at 
[email protected]

Queensland office: +61 (7) 3010 9736

Victoria office: +61 (3) 8400 5070

New South Wales office: +61 (2) 9137 1061