Queensland Skilled Occupation Lists are now open as of 29 July 2019.
Queensland is looking for skilled migrants in occupations that have been identified as being in shortage in Queensland. The Queensland Occupation List (QSOL) is frequently updated, according to the current labour demand for occupations throughout Australia.
Popular occupations such as Marketing Specialist, Accountants, chefs, Nurses and Teachers remain on the list. Our team notes that some occupations now require additional work experience. An example of this is that Chef now requires 3 years work experience under some categories.
Why is the list important?
The state of Queensland will only nominate occupations on the on the QSOL. The QSOL and nomination under a listed occupation may lead to either a temporary (Subclass 489) or permanent visa (Subclass 190) depending on which requirements/criteria you are able to meet.
There are three main categories that Queensland nominates under:
- Living in Queensland (subclass 190) & (subclass 489)
- Offshore (subclass 190) & (subclass 489)
- Queensland Postgraduate – Masters or PhD (subclass 190)
You can check whether your occupation is on the list click here
What are the new 2019/20 criteria and policies?
Living in Queensland
- In order to be nominated by Queensland for the Subclass 190 – You will need to prove you have 6 months’ work experience (minimum 35 hours per week) in Queensland and a 1 year job offer.
- In order to be nominated by Queensland for Subclass 489 – you need to have evidence of 3 months living and working in Queensland (minimum 35 hours per week) experience. The 3 months must be completed immediately prior to application in regional Queensland and you must have a 1 year job offer.
- Will need to provide evidence that you have a minimum of 2 years’ post-qualification work experience in your nominated occupation
Waiver: if you are an overseas PhD graduate, you may be eligible for a work experience requirement waiver. This can be considered if you have a minimum 12 month job offer with a Queensland employer registered in Australia.
Queensland Postgraduate – Masters or PhD
For Queensland Master Graduates, Business and Skilled Migration Queensland (BSMQ )criteria requires you to:
- have an occupation on the QSOL for Queensland Masters Graduates;
- have completed 100% of your Master’s degree at a Queensland-based institution and graduated in the last two years which must be related to your nominated occupation;
- provide evidence of current full time employment with a Queensland employer registered in Australia in your nominated occupation (or a closely related occupation); and
- provide evidence of ongoing full time employment for a minimum of 12 months with a Queensland employer registered in Australia in your nominated occupation (or a closely related occupation).
In order to be nominated by Queensland for Subclass 489 you must be able to prove your live in a regional area and that you are working for an employer in a regional area.
Queensland PhD Graduates, BSMQ criteria requires you to:
- have completed 100% of your PhD at a Queensland-based institution and graduated in the last two years (this qualification must be related to your nominated occupation
Please note: A job offer will not be necessary unless otherwise stated
What should I do now?
We recommend you contact the Infinite Migration Team for a complimentary consultation to confirm whether you would meet the new requirements. Time is of the essence as Queensland will open up 489 processing for a limited period only – until mid-August 2019. Subclass 489 applicants will receive priority processing during this period and the time to receive an invitation for the Subclass 190 may take longer.
Comments are closed.