Australian Borders Opening 1 December 2021

From 1 December vaccinated eligible temporary visa holders can travel to Australia without applying for a travel exemption.  This includes student visa holders and skilled workers. The relaxation of the borders has been welcomed news and will allow greater freedom to travel and return to Australia. From 1 December 2021, Australia will also  allow fully vaccinated citizens from Japan and the Republic of Korea to enter Australia.

What do I need to do enter Australia?

  • Hold an eligible Temporary Visa
  • Have evidence you have been double vaccinated with a Therapeutic Goods Administration-approved vaccine
  • Provide evidence you have had a negative Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test taken within three days of departure

Which type of visa allows me to enter Australia without an exemption?

Eligible visa holders are people who hold the following visas:

Subclass 200 – Refugee visa
Subclass 201 – In-country Special Humanitarian visa
Subclass 202 – Global Special Humanitarian visa
Subclass 203 – Emergency Rescue visa
Subclass 204 – Woman at Risk visa
Subclass 300 – Prospective Marriage visa
Subclass 400 – Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa
Subclass 403 – Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (other streams, including Australian Agriculture Visa stream)
Subclass 407 – Training visa
Subclass 408 – Temporary Activity visa
Subclass 417 – Working Holiday visa
Subclass 449 – Humanitarian Stay (Temporary) visa
Subclass 457 – Temporary Work (Skilled) visa
Subclass 461 – New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship visa
Subclass 462 – Work and Holiday visa
Subclass 476 – Skilled – Recognised Graduate visa
Subclass 482 – Temporary Skill Shortage visa
Subclass 485 – Temporary Graduate visa
Subclass 489 – Skilled – Regional (Provisional) visa
Subclass 491 – Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa
Subclass 494 – Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa
Subclass 500 – Student visa
Subclass 580 – Student Guardian visa (closed to new applicants)
Subclass 590 – Student Guardian visa
Subclass 785 – Temporary Protection visa
Subclass 790 – Safe Haven Enterprise visa
Subclass 870 – Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa
Subclass 988 – Maritime Crew visa


Is there a pathway for Permanent Residence?

The Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Aff​airs has confirmed that there will be changes to allow some Temporary Visa holders better access to obtaining  Permanent residency.

These visa changes will improve access to permanent residence for:

  • Existing Temporary Skill Shortage (subclass 482) visa holders in the short-term stream
  • Legacy Temporary Work Skilled (subclass 457) visa holders who no longer meet the age requirement.


What should I do next?

Contact our team to help you evaluate your eligibility to return to Australia.

Our team can also assess whether you meet the eligibility requirements to obtain a suitable Temporary Visa.

Get in touch with us to plan your next Australian Visa.

Source: Prime Minister Press Release

Comments are closed.

Get in touch

Speak to our caring and knowledgeable staff who will be able to assist you in achieving your successful migration goal.
Fill in our contact form and we'll get back to you as soon as possible, otherwise email us at 
[email protected]

Queensland office: +61 (7) 3010 9736

Victoria office: +61 (3) 8400 5070

New South Wales office: +61 (2) 9137 1061